The Jovoto Blog

The $300 house – final countdown!

7 comments

peteabrams
May 20, 2011 5:35 am

safe comfortable space to be.
We toil too long to provide a roof
to house soul ,toothbrush and skivvies.

The naked ape rails against the elements
grasping for purchase
to raise the kids.

stef
May 20, 2011 12:32 pm

how the hell do you enter this competition…cant find anything anywhere…?

nsonne
May 20, 2011 4:44 pm

hey stef, you can enter the contest here: http://www.jovoto.com/contests/300house/briefing

David Reed
May 24, 2011 10:52 pm

it has become very apparent that this contest has turned into a design nightmare and a fresh out of design schools “hey check out my idea” that costs way to much, is not local, does not use local materials, needs manufacturing, and just simply is not sustainable. I hope the jury seriously keeps this in mind when they go to pick the best home that actually does do what these homes need and not what looks prettiest, some of the design submissions are methods in use now, some are new fresh ideas with waste materials.

nsonne
May 26, 2011 12:50 am

Hey David,
I have to agree – there are lots of hand drawn sketches in the contest that are clearly only about the concept – and even the ideas that according to you “look pretty” do have an elaborate concept behind. Of course some ideas meet the task better than others, but if you look at the ideas in depth you will see their value – and you will also notice that the judges’ comments demonstrate that they didn’t only look at the pictures but at the concepts as well.
Well, let’s wait and see who the community and the jury chooses!
Best,
Nathalie

teigan
May 26, 2011 6:37 am

i think you misunderstood david, nsonne. he was not basing his assessment of “design nightmare” ideas by the roughness of the sketches or renderings. to the contrary, the majority are hiding behind slick renderings and have very little of value underneath. the deeper we look, the less we find. perhaps you yourself have yet to break the surface.

elbobo
June 12, 2011 6:15 am

After taking part in this contest I found it to be just that A CONTEST
The comments generated
were many times defensive in nature. Im not aginst demanding explanations
and I sure as hell like a clean bout ,but perhaps the assumptions of
ideal conditions and improper conclusionss marred the substance and validity of proposed solutions . Notice I said solutions and by that I mean designs that are
able to stand and weather bthe elements. At the same time I realize the value
of a concept or/and idea.
If I could advice the judges I would suggest that they separate all of the entries
in perhaps 3 types of categories

One could be the PURE IDEA where the connection methods waterproofing methods or foundation logic is not at all explained or considered (as in many proposals)

Ideas/proposals with built prototypes
They could be inspected and further analyzed for better evaluation of possible usage
and challenged with respect to the parameters (which we seem not to be trully defined completely yet) needed to be satisfied.
This category should be given full attention since the authors have allready solved
many of the issues and can walk the judges through their questions.
Many entries fall under this category

Third but not least is the Hybrid type of entry. I use that name because
its a cofusing one where there is neither a clear idea nor a real visible prototype,
but rather its composed of idealistic social manipulated statements that imply
world solutions of fantastic magnitudes through a revolution in how to build
a shelter with all kinds of local super materials and imaginary assumptions
of physics, statics, hydrology and lots of other sciences.

My concern is that it seemed so far that the hybrid type of solutions are
being preferrd (Idont know how the judges think because Ive not heard any of them except the tech advisor , ) but for a question which deals with such a serious
need as basic housing , it would seem to me that we may need more discussion and really define the MUST SATISFY REQUIREMENTS AND CRITERIA that the solution must be able to attain. Its great that we are even at this stage of discussion , because Im sure that all of the contestants are allready touched and affected by what they saw
(I Know I am)

I thank this website for the opprtunity to excersice and display my thoughts . Its such a great medium

Thanks to everybody