Aktion Deutschland Hilft, Germany's Relief Coalition is an alliance of a number of renowned German relief organizations that can provide fast, effective and coordinated aid to people in need during major catastrophes. The alliance’s aim is to quickly and effectively provide help to people who need it the most in the event of a disaster, like after the earthquake in Haiti or the tsunami catastrophe in Japan and during similarly severe natural catastrophes.
The Chairman of the alliance’s Board of Trustees is former German Foreign Minister Dr. Frank-Walter Steinmeier, the patron is Germany’s former Federal President Dr. Richard von Weizsäcker. Members of Aktion Deutschland Hilft include: action medeor, the Arbeiter Samariter Bund (Worker's Samaritan Federation), ADRA Germany, Arbeiterwohlfahrt International (Workers’ Welfare Association), CARE Germany-Luxemburg, Help – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe (Help – Help to Self-Help), Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe (St. John’s Accident Assistance), Malteser Hilfsdienst (Humanitarian Aid Service of the Order of Malta), the Paritätische Wohlfahrtsverband (German Equality Welfare Association) and World Vision Germany. Aktion Deutschland Hilft has been given the seal of approval from the German Central Institute for Social Issues (DZI), which is awarded for the particularly financially effective handling of donation monies.
What makes Aktion Deutschland Hilft stand out? Aktion Deutschland Hilft:
- effectively uses the specializations of the individual organizations (e.g. medical emergency aid, provision of water and food for those affected, construction of emergency shelters etc.)
- enables the fast provision, transportation and distribution of aid supplies
- ensures quality by regularly evaluating the projects
- efficiently uses donated funds with low administration costs
- pools donation appeals of the currently 22 union partners into one joint donations account
- carries out daily telephone conferences when required to coordinate the aid and to discuss the situation on the ground (see example)
All relief measures of the 22 alliance partners of Aktion Deutschland Hilft are financed from donations alone. Past experiences show, that organizations with a very high brand profile are taken into consideration to an above-average extent by people making donations during disasters. Aktion Deutschland Hilft therefore wishes to increase brand awareness to ensure that it is taken into consideration more by both new and existing donors in the event of future disasters.
In the future, the new advertising visual should
- increase awareness of Aktion Deutschland Hilft
- raise the profile of the alliance and
- emotionally charge the Aktion Deutschland Hilft brand.