Have you ever felt that the current employment procedures are out of date? Well, me too!
Why portfolio and CV showcases are obsolete in the modern world? Well, let’s see:
For creatives (workers, employees, etc.):
- It is time consuming to create and maintain such documentation. Something is always missing.
- Hard to stay up-to-date with everything you’ve done recently in your professional life.
- These showcases force a constant feeling that personal portfolio and CV are not good enough, even if they are.
- For creatives working in groups or for big companies, it is especially hard to divide the teamwork and take personal credit for it. This can be misleading about the skills of the future employee.
- There are lots of NDA projects which showcase worker’s skills, but they can’t present their work because of contractual obligations.
- The mainstream view that applying to a profession, people only have to show related materials. Actually some of them have a lot more skills which could actually be very useful later.
- Sometimes the desired work requires certain competences which differ from the ones people submitted in their CVs. HRs can decline them on that basis, but they may actually possess these skills.
- People can download a CV and even use other’s portfolio template to bypass the standard company schemes, which actually doesn’t bring any good for everyone involved.
For employers (companies, organizations, etc.):
- All things written above will have an impact on the company eventually, if they bring the wrong person for the job.
- Delusion for creative’s quality or short-term skills. He can show his work-of-a-lifetime which may look great, but that doesn’t mean he will be able to repeat this kind of work at all or do it on short basis. Please, see the presentation for the full information.