Mini apartment in N.Y.
5 brief considerations from Idesign
Generally, a successful design is based on the profound logical analysis of the design task, the amount of creative inspirational talent and the design know-how background.
A design task or project means elaborating and focusing a solution to fulfil someone�s idea or desire.
The design process is a gradual and steady evolution of open-minded analysis, creative thought, logical functionality and finally, even auto criticism.
A designer�s task is to elaborate an initial idea, by acquiring input data through the intensive exploitation of the mandatory requirements. Starting from an abstract concept, the designer will try to generate the best possible solution to fulfil and satisfy the customer�s desire. The best result will be achieved only through a logical design process which may be implemented by the designers own expertise.
The Tiny Huge Apartment open contest will demonstrate that there are always many ways to achieve excellent solutions to the specific design task, but the winning design will depend mainly on how it will have best interpreted the judges expectations on his desired life style; alternatively, it may have even convinced him of a possible better solution to enjoy living in a highly efficient �tiny huge urban apartment�.
Basic Idea � Notes from Idesign
In designing a Mini Apartment in N Y, given exceptionally clear mandatory requirements, we have applied extreme attention to the individual functional spaces and details, taking care to blend them together harmoniously, rationally and aesthetically, so as to deliver the best result.
The design process is only partially intuitive and must not be considered as being casual. It must be thought of as a smart procedure, which we may define in 5 simple steps:
- Preliminary zone and volume design, </li>
- Functional area and element design, </li>
- General plans,
- Detailed plans and décor.
Some of our
design-leading themes are:
- Simple and easy use of functional space during every-day life. ( Rest, wash, cook, eat, work, relax and enjoy social life whilst entertaining.) </li>
- To limit to a minimum any transforming processes. (Too many transforming processes make life difficult. </li>
- Create the largest number of permanent functional spaces possible whilst guaranteeing flexibility. (Adequate privacy during the contemporary use of different functional spaces by more people i.e. to feel free but not disturb others.) </li>
- Adequate functional and storage spaces to keep the apartment comfortable, tidy and easy to cater for. (Above-reach storage for non frequent use items or boxes, along the perimeter walls...)</li>
- Search and use of standard commercial modular furniture elements of quality eco-sustainable design.</li>
- To design special functional exclusive elements such as an entertainment centre totem, as a focus point directly in front of lounge sofa, which integrates requirements such as TV, DVD, Home Theatre, telepresence, bar facilities, ice maker etc.) </li>
For a full explanation of our design process please see slides.