The Victorinox Swiss Army Knife
The Swiss Army Knife is one of Switzerland’s most iconic and famous products. Most people are familiar with the classic red design of the pocket knife known for its quality, functionality, innovation and iconic design, which bears the unmistakable Victorinox cross and shield. In 1884 Carl Elsener opened his first cutlery workshop in Ibach, Switzerland. The name Victorinox is an homage to his mother Victoria combined with the name of the product’s main material: stainless steel, also known as “Inox”. In 1891 Victorinox delivered their first major order of soldier’s knives to the Swiss Army. The Victorinox corporate film introduces you to the secrets of the successful Victorinox company and their famous Swiss Army Knife.
The Classic Limited Edition
Since 2010, Victorinox has been producing an annual limited edition of its small 58 mm Classic pocket knife. The Classic Limited Edition has quickly become a popular item and impulse buy all over the world: either as a small gift or a collector’s item.
Check out the Classic Limited Edition 2017 on the Victorinox website.
Be part of the design and decision-making process!
Six years ago, the company decided to open up the design process for the annual Classic Limited Edition to all designers and Victorinox fans worldwide. And they are now giving you another chance:
- Submit your personal design proposal for the next Limited Edition!
- Comment and vote on your favorite designs!
A Victorinox jury will then pick a shortlist of ideas to go into a global voting that will be announced on the Victorinox website, their social media channels and also on jovoto. You and all other Victorinox fans will be given the chance to decide which 10 designs will be produced in 2018 and made available to purchase around the globe.
The annual limited edition of the classic pocket knife is a popular collector’s item and gift all around the world. The fresh and new designs of the Classic Limited Edition 2018 should once again increase the impulse buys and strengthen the Victorinox brand and its reputation of being creative, functional and appealing.
Submit your exciting new design for this year’s Classic Limited Edition theme – Places of the World!
Places of the World is the overarching theme of the Classic Limited Edition 2018. Use the surface of the 58 mm Classic pocket knife to feature your favorite place in your individual artistic style.
You can illustrate
- a typical manmade landmark (like the Eiffel Tower)
- or a famous natural landmark (like the Matterhorn)
- or even a whole scenery of a city or a landscape
as long as your visualization unmistakably represents your place and can be recognized by everyone, everywhere in the world.
To create your unique, never-seen-before and exciting design style, you can draw inspiration from your own visual culture and origins, as well as international design trends.
Please be aware that the Swiss Army Knife of the Classic Limited Edition – also known as “the small Swiss Army Knife” – typically has very small measurements of 58 x 14 mm. Your design will have the strongest visual impact:
- If the main focus is on the knife’s front-side with the logo, as this side will face - and shall attract - the customer at the POS
- if it doesn’t include too many miniscule elements that are difficult to make out on the small surface
- if it plays and fits in with the typical shape – rounded on both ends – of the Swiss Army Knife
You are allowed to submit up to 10 ideas. Please upload only one design per submission. It’s up to you how you present your idea but it’s important that you show the front and back sides of your design on a plain white background in one slide using the template provided.
The Classic Limited Edition has fans all around the world in an extremely broad target group between 20 and 50 years old. Since the Classic Limited Edition is sold worldwide, the cultural background of each potential consumer plays a big role.
The purchasing decision of the average customer is based on impulse so a spontaneous positive reaction to your design is the most important factor of the buying decision.
- clear and iconic
Guidelines, regulations & comments
Original work only
To ensure Victorinox can consider your design for global voting and potential production, only submit designs that are your original work. This means that no Third party materials should be incorporated into your design (i.e. stock material, Creative Commons material etc.)
Inspiration material is legitimate as long as it is just that – for inspiration. This means that slight changes to the original, or retracing stock material with your own vectors – does not count as original work. If you are unsure, ask yourself "if the originator of the source saw it - would he or she immediately recognize their work, and would he or she be able to take legal steps?” If the answer is ‘yes’, then you shouldn’t use it.
For more visit our jovoto Support Center.
Please note that some landmarks are copyrighted and cannot be used commercially. Some of these include: the Eiffel Tower at night, the Sydney Opera House or the Hollywood Sign. To ensure Victorinox can consider your design for global voting and potential production, we suggest you verify that the landmark you'd like to illustrate is free for commercial use.
Make your design ready for production
- You must show the front and back sides of your design idea.
- You only need to create a visual for the synthetic scales of the Classic 58mm pocket knife. Your design will then be printed on the casing, which is mostly in the basic colors of red, white, black, blue, yellow and green and non-transparent (please see the Project Kit).
- In this project, we are NOT looking for alternative shapes, functions or materials for the synthetic casing.
- It must be technically possible to produce your design suggestions. An expert team from Victorinox will test the feasibility of your designs.
- Use of the Victorinox logo: the position, size and shape of the Victorinox logo on the knife may not be changed.
What you should NOT submit:
- You may NOT change the shape and functionality of the pocket knife in any way.
- Please do not submit design series, but just ONE idea per submission. And make sure that your final design is always shown at the top of your submission so it will be displayed in the idea overview.
- Show Victorinox your brand new, most progressive and iconic design ideas; designs that were already submitted in one of the previous Victorinox limited design challenges will NOT be taken into consideration for this project.
- Designs with any of the following elements will be removed from the project
- Skulls and crossbones
- Sexist insinuations and any kind of nudity
- Anything that glorifies violence, hatred or racism
Statement about you: Pick of the Day!
During the submission phase, selected designs will be featured on Victorinox’ social medial channels as the “Pick of the Day”.
- Please write a short statement (around 80 words) about you and your design and enter it into the upload form when submitting your design!
- You could also upload a short video statement onto the platform.
- If your design is chosen, your statement will be published on the Victorinox Facebook page. So, keep your eyes on it.
Something along the lines of: “Hi! My name is ___ and I am ____ (age). I live in (country, city). I’ve been working here as a designer for ___ (years). I created this design for Victorinox because I think ______ (what you think works best about your design – color, idea, style, trend etc.).”
Country of origin in your profile!
Please make sure you’ve filled out your country of origin in your profile. It’s important that the Victorinox team understands the cultural background of your design.
Required file format
If your idea is chosen to be licensed by the client, these are the two file formats you will need to supply us with:
- PDF format in high resolution (300 dpi)
- Open layered file format (if possible vector-based)
- Inspirational mood board "Places of the World"
- Classic Limited Edition 2017
- Limited Edition Design challenges: Victorinox Creative Hub
- Victorinox design approach
- Victorinox brand video
- Victorinox newsletter
Here is a brief overview of what is particularly important to be aware of:
1. When entering an idea for a project, jovoto as well as the client, may display, share and print it for evaluation or presentational purposes.
2. There is a three month exclusivity period:
- in which you may publish and share your idea on other websites or social media and ensure it is clearly labelled as a submission created on jovoto.
- in which you ensure that the client is able to exclusively license your design.
- after which you may offer your submission to others and publicly display it (without the clients logo).
3. Please ensure that you submit designs that are your original work.
5. The project terms clarify rights for your upload as well as the details that go into effect if and when you are informed that the client wishes to license your design.
6. Please carefully check and review your submission and the attachments before uploading them - they can only be deleted within 24 hours.
7. This is a project with further provisions. Please check out the project terms paragraph 6.