The Victorinox Swiss Army Knife
The Swiss Army Knife is one of Switzerland’s most iconic and famous products. Most people are familiar with the classic red design of the pocket knife known for its quality, functionality, innovation and iconic design, which bears the unmistakable Victorinox Cross&Shield. In 1884 Carl Elsener opened his first cutlery workshop in Ibach, Switzerland.
The name Victorinox is an homage to his mother Victoria combined with the name of the product’s main material: stainless steel, also known as “Inox”. In 1891 Victorinox delivered their first major order of soldier’s knives to the Swiss Army. The Victorinox corporate film introduces you to the secrets of the successful Victorinox company and their famous Swiss Army Knife.
The Classic Limited Edition
Since 2010, Victorinox has been producing an annual Limited Edition of its small 58 mm Classic pocket knife. The Classic Limited Edition has quickly become a popular item and impulse buy all over the world: either as a small gift or a collector’s item.
Check out the Classic Limited Edition 2018 on the Victorinox website.
Be part of the design and decision-making process!
Seven years ago, the company decided to open up the design process for the annual Classic Limited Edition to all designers and Victorinox fans worldwide. And they are now giving you another chance:
Submit your personal design proposal for the next Limited Edition!
Comment on the designs of other participants, motivate them and help them to make their work better.
Vote on your favorite design after the submission phase.
In addition to the Community Voting on jovoto, the Victorinox jury will pick a shortlist of ideas to go into a Global Voting that will be announced on the Victorinox website, their social media channels and also on jovoto. You and all other Victorinox fans will be given the chance to decide which 10 designs will be produced in 2019 and made available to purchase around the globe.
Business challenge & Goal
The annual Limited Edition of the classic pocket knife is a popular collector’s item and gift all around the world. The fresh and new designs of the Classic Limited Edition 2019 should once again increase the impulse buys and strengthen the Victorinox brand and its reputation of being creative, functional and appealing.
The Classic Limited Edition has fans all around the world in an extremely broad target group between 20 and 50 years old. Since the Classic Limited Edition is sold worldwide, the cultural background of each potential consumer plays a big role.
The purchasing decision of the average customer is based on impulse, so a spontaneous positive reaction to your design is the most important factor of the buying decision.
Submit your exciting new design for this year’s Classic Limited Edition theme – Food of the World!
Food of the World is the overarching theme of the Classic Limited Edition 2019. Use the surface of the 58 mm Classic pocket knife to feature your favorite food in your individual artistic style.
You are free to choose any food you like, as long as your visualization unmistakably represents an iconic and appealing food experience and can be recognized by everyone, everywhere in the world.
Ranging from simple to complex food, you can illustrate for example:
- single pieces of food (like vegetables, fruits, snacks or food to go)
- common and classical dishes (like grandma’s homemade cake or stew)
- complex and professionally prepared dishes (like a lavish menu consisting of many diﬀerent elements).
The selected food can be:
- standard, vegetarian, vegan, kosher or halal
- sweet, salty, bitter or sour
- natural (like a piece of fruit) or manufactured (like a fish stick)
- contemporary, historic of futuristic
- local (like a dish that stands for your culture, your country or your city) or international food (like a pizza or a burger).
The depicted food must:
- be recognizable for everyone everywhere in the world
- look appealing and not repelling in any way
- not be a beverage or liquid
How to create a successful design
To create your unique, never-seen-before and exciting design style, you can draw inspiration from your own visual culture and origins, as well as from international design trends.
Please be aware that the Swiss Army Knife of the Classic Limited Edition – also known as “the small Swiss Army Knife” – typically has very small measurements of 58 x 14 mm. Your design will have the strongest visual impact:
- If the main focus is on the knife’s front-side with the logo, as this side will face - and shall attract - the customer at the POS
- if it doesn’t include too many minuscule elements that are diﬀicult to make out on the small surface
- if it plays and fits in with the typical shape – rounded on both ends – of the Swiss Army Knife
How to submit
- You are allowed to submit up to 5 ideas
- Please upload only one (new) design per submission
- Upload your idea in a finalized and ready to print quality
- Use the template provided in the Project Kit showing the front and back sides of your design on a plain white background
Only submit designs that are genuinely created by YOU (see guidelines for details)
- clear and iconic
Guidelines, regulations & comments
Original work only
To ensure Victorinox can consider your design for global voting and potential production, at the end of the project you will need to have created a design that is your original work. This means that no third party material should be incorporated into your design (i.e. stock material, Creative Commons material etc.)
Inspiration material is legitimate as long as it is just that – for inspiration. This means that (slight) changes to the original, or retracing stock material with your own vectors – does not count as original work. If you are unsure, ask yourself "if the originator of the source saw it would he or she immediately recognize their work, and would he or she be able to take legal steps?” If the answer is ‘yes’, then you are not allowed to use it.
Please read about original work and how to use inspiration material in order to create original work here (“Third Party Material 101”) and in this blogpost with community member CrossTheLime. For more visit our jovoto Support Center.
During the Refinement Phase, it is possible to make minor adjustments to your designs to ensure original work. However, the closer your design already is to being 100% original, the more chances that it gets picked for the Client Shortlist.
Please note that some very iconic food is copyrighted and cannot be used commercially. Especially do not use food BRANDS (such as McDonald’s, Snickers or Toblerone) in your designs.
Make your design ready for production
- You must show the front and back sides of your design idea on a WHITE background using the Template provided in the Project Kit (in the Download section of this brief). If this is not the case by the end of the submission period, your design cannot be selected for the final Victorinox global voting.
- You only need to create a visual for the synthetic scales of the Classic 58mm pocket knife. Your design will then be printed on the scales, which is mostly in the basic colors of red, white, black, blue, yellow, green and light pink which are all non-transparent (please see the Project Kit).
- It must be technically possible to produce your design suggestions. An expert team from Victorinox will test the feasibility of your designs.
- Use of the Victorinox logo: the position, size, and shape of the Victorinox logo on the knife may not be changed.
What you should NOT submit
- In this project, we are NOT looking for alternative shapes, functions or materials for the synthetic scales. You may NOT change the shape and functionality of the pocket knife in any way.
- Please do not submit design series, but just ONE idea per submission.
- Show Victorinox your brand new, most progressive and iconic design ideas; designs that were already submitted in one of the previous Victorinox limited design challenges will NOT be taken into consideration for this project.
- Designs with any of the following elements will be removed from the project:
- Disgusting depiction of food
- Weapons and blood
- Skulls and crossbones
- Sexist insinuations and any kind of nudity
- Anything that glorifies violence, hatred or racism
- Anything that disregards the dignity of animals or of humans and their food culture
- Political and religious statements
A statement about you: Pick of the Day!
During the submission phase, selected designs will be featured on the Victorinox social media channels as the “Pick of the Day”.
- Please write a short statement (around 80 words) about you and your design in the text box available to you when submitting your design, just like in the idea template.
- If your design is chosen, your statement will be published on the Victorinox Facebook page. So, keep your eyes on it.
Something along the lines: “Hi! My name is ____ and I am ____(age). I live in ____ (country, city). I chose ____(this food) because____ (what makes it special). My creative approach was ____ I think ____ (why you think customers will see this design as something unique that they'd just need to have)."
Complete your profile
Please make sure you’ve fully filled out your profile. To Victorinox the information about the country of origin is especially important to understand the cultural background of your design.
Required file format
If your idea is chosen to be licensed by the client, these are the two file formats you will need to supply us with:
- PDF format in high resolution (300 dpi)
- Open layered file format (if possible vector-based)
A design project for everyone
This is a public project, open to all jovoto creatives. Both newcomers and experienced creatives that know the platform very well are welcome to participate. We ask everyone to accept and respect that a broad range of creatives, with varying skill levels, will be submitting ideas to this project.
The Victorinox Limited Edition Crowdstorm is a digital design event that Victorinox wants everyone in the world to be able to participate in. However, due to the Chinese Internet restrictions, the designers in China are not able to access the jovoto platform.
To still give the Chinese designers a chance to participate in this Crowdstorm we’ve decided to:
- set up a parallel Crowdstorm on a Chinese platform (http://event.huaban.com/art/44/)
- add to the Client Shortlist a maximum of 3 winning designs from the Chinese Crowdstorm. This will be done after the submission ends here on jovoto.
Timing & Awards
Deliverables and deadlines
- Client Halftime Feedback: Tuesday, June 25, 2018
- End of submission phase: Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 17:00 pm (Berlin time)
- End of the rating phase: Thursday, Jul 19, 2018 at 17:00 (Berlin time)
- Start of the refinement phase: tba
- Global Voting: beginning of October 2018
- Besides the chance to take part in this creative challenge, you could earn from the total award pool of €37.950. We are excited to see your vision to for the Victorinox Classic Limited Edition 2019!
- Pinterest inspirational moodboard "Food of the World"
- Classic Limited Edition 2018
- Victorinox Creative Hub
- Victorinox design approach
- Victorinox brand video
- Victorinox newsletter
Here is a brief overview of what is particularly important to be aware of:
- When entering an idea for a project, jovoto as well as the client, may display, share and print it for evaluation or presentational purposes.
- There is a three month exclusivity period:
- in which you may publish and share your idea on other websites or social media and ensure it is clearly labelled as a submission created on jovoto.
- in which you ensure that the client is able to exclusively license your design.
- after which you may oﬀer your submission to others and publicly display it (without the client logo).
- Please source all the third-party material links in the idea upload form.
- If your design gets selected for the Client’s Shortlist, please ensure to provide an original final design.
- The project terms clarify rights for your upload as well as the details that go into eﬀect if and when you are informed that the client wishes to license your design.
- Please carefully check and review your submission before uploading it - it can only be deleted within 24 hours.
- This is a project with further provisions. Please check out the project terms paragraph 6.