We are at the very beginning of a big shift (or Big Switch, according to Nicholas Carr). While many businesses continue to depend on personal computers in the office, we’re using them in a very different way than before. Instead of relying on data and software that reside inside our computers, we increasingly tap into data and software streaming through the public Internet. PCs now draw most of their power and usefulness not from what’s inside them but from the network they’re hooked up to: the computers and people connected to that network. This has had a huge impact on how people and businesses work together.
Cisco is one of the world’s largest technology corporations. They design and sell networking, voice, and communications technology and services - - the architecture keeping businesses running. Historically Cisco installed their services and technology on-location in offices. But as businesses grow more mobile and disperse there is a growing need for virtual or cloud-based services. The new workspace is all about Collaboration.
What is Collaboration? Collaboration brings people together to work towards achieving a common goal. When we say Collaboration we’re talking about the technologies that connect people like:
- Voice & video - Communicate with customers and colleagues face-to-face through real-time high definition audio and/or video
- Social Tools - Create & share business content through social media
- Mobility - Freedom to access information and work regardless of location
- Sharing Applications - Create, edit and share content in real-time with others
This is about creating a new model for working. Cisco wants to start the conversation about how these Collaboration tools make sense for business. This is the starting point: tell me why this age of collaboration will transform my business.
Why Collaboration? Collaboration has three distinct value propositions:
- Improve decision making - Leading companies are the ones that can respond the fastest and make informed decisions. Collaboration enables employees to locate relevant experts and information quickly, interact productively with their extended teams, and make better decisions.
- Mobilize workspaces - Connectivity needs to be dynamic and simple while safely integrated across organizations, continents, and devices. Collaboration enables people to work together naturally anywhere, using any device, and with any kind of content.
- Better customer experience - Being able to work with customers in purposeful ways makes for happy customers. Collaboration enables flexible ways to connect with customers through efficient yet personalized, relevant communications.