The Victorinox Swiss Army Knife
The Swiss Army Knife is one of Switzerland’s most iconic and famous products. Most people are familiar with the classic red design of the pocket knife known for its quality, functionality, innovation and iconic design, which bears the unmistakable Victorinox Cross&Shield. In 1884 Karl Elsener opened his first cutlery workshop in Ibach, Switzerland. The name Victorinox is an homage to his mother Victoria combined with the name of the product’s main material: stainless steel, also known as “Inox”. In 1891 Victorinox delivered their first major order of soldier’s knives to the Swiss Army. The Victorinox corporate film introduces you to the secrets of the successful Victorinox company and their famous Swiss Army Knife.
The Classic Limited Edition
Since 2010, Victorinox has been producing an annual Limited Edition of its small 58 mm Classic pocket knife. The Classic Limited Edition has quickly become a popular item and impulse buy all over the world: either as a small gift or a collector’s item. Check out the Classic Limited Edition 2019 on the Victorinox website.
Be part of the design and decision-making process!
Eight years ago, the company decided to open up the design process for the annual Classic Limited Edition to all designers and Victorinox fans worldwide. And they are now giving you another chance:
- Submit your personal and original design proposal for the next Limited Edition!
- Comment on the designs of other participants, motivate them and help them to make their work better.
- Vote on your favorite design after the submission phase.
In addition to the community voting on jovoto, the Victorinox jury will pick a shortlist of ideas to go into a global voting that will be announced on the Victorinox website, their social media channels and also on jovoto. You and all other Victorinox fans will be given the chance to decide which 10 designs will be produced in 2020 and made available to purchase around the globe.
To make this a truly global design-project Victorinox sets up a parallel contest on the Chinese platform Huaban. A maximum of 3 client favorites from the Huaban-project will be added to the 30 client shortlist winners in this project after submission ends. The final ten winners will be selected in a global public voting on the Victorinox website.
Creative challenge & goal
The annual Limited Edition of the classic pocket knife is a popular collector’s item and gift all around the world. The fresh and new designs of the Classic Limited Edition 2020 should once again increase the impulse buys and strengthen the Victorinox brand and its reputation of being creative, functional and appealing.
Victorinox – creator of the world famous iconic Swiss Army Knife – challenges you to design the pocket knife for the Classic Limited Edition 2020. The exciting theme of this year’s global design challenge is: Sports of the World!
The stage for your unique design idea is the cellidor scale of the small 58mm Classic pocket knife. Choose from the Project Kit one of the seven available colours as a canvas for your art work:
The front side of the knife – with the Victorinox Cross&Shield logo – is what catches the customer’s eye in the store. Nonetheless use both sides to show the almost unlimited world of sports and express its emotion, excitement, fascination and joy.
Your design can feature anything
- from a popular global sport to a niche discipline that is only played in your country
- from an individual sports discipline to team sports
- from physical equipment to emotional aspects of sports
as long as your design unmistakably shows the world of sports.
Just as the Victorinox brand itself your design should be creative, iconic, emotional and original.
- The Classic Limited Edition has a broad, multicultural and global fanbase: Men and women, mostly between the age of 20 and 50, love this this unique product that is sold worldwide.
- The Victorinox Limited Edition knives are purchased as affordable presents, souvenirs and collectibles.
- In most cases the buying decision is based on impulse, so a spontaneous positive reaction to your design is key.
- The main focus is on the knife’s front-side with the logo, as this side will face and attract people in the store.
- Don’t include tiny details that are difficult to recognize on the small 58x14mm surface of the knife.
- Your design will stand out more if it fits in with the typical shape – rounded on both ends – of the Swiss Army Knife.
- In addition to plain white there are six other colors of the cellidor scale that you can build your design upon. Find them in the Project Kit.
- There are many ways to showcase a specific sport. For example: If you choose “soccer” this does not restrict others from submitting their individual interpretation of this sport.
- Victorinox Homepage
- Victorinox Creative Hub
- Victorinox design approach
- Victorinox brand video
- Victorinox newsletter
- What is original work?
- Pinterest inspirational moodboard "Sports of the World"
How to submit
1. Submit your design
- Check the Idea Template to see what your submission will have to contain (text, image and image size)
- Pick the color base for your knife from the seven available, and use the corresponding canvas provided to you in the "Project Kit" showing the front and back sides of your design on a plain white background. Apply your design on this canvas. Please do NOT change the white background of the image (no effects, no color etc.).
- Upload and publish your idea in a finalized and ready to print quality.
- You are allowed to upload up to 5 fully worked out ideas.
- Please upload only one (new) design per submission.
- Only submit designs that are genuinely created by YOU. (see "Original work only" section below)
2. Required file format
If your idea is chosen to be licensed by the client, these are the two file formats you will need to supply us with:
- PDF format in high resolution (300 dpi)
- Open-layered file format (if possible vector-based)
3. Submit a statement about yourself and your work
- Please write a short statement (around 80 words) about you and your design - so we can learn more about you - and enter it into the upload form.
- Your statement could be used by jovoto and Victorinox for social media posts or others.
Here’s an example text: “Hi! My name is ___ and I am ____ (age). I live in (country, city). I’ve been working as a designer for ___ (years). I created this design for Victorinox because I think ______(what you think works best about your design – color, idea, style, trend etc.).”
4. Complete your profile
Please make sure you’ve filled out your country of origin in your profile. It’s important that the Victorinox team understands the cultural background of your design.
Original work only
To ensure Victorinox can consider your design for global voting and potential production, only submit designs that are your original work. This means that third party materials must be excluded from your design (i.e. stock material, Creative Commons material etc.)
Inspiration material is legitimate as long as it is just that – for inspiration. This means that slight changes to the original, or retracing stock material with your own vectors – does not count as original work. If you are unsure, ask yourself "if the originator of the source saw it - would he or she immediately recognize their work, and would he or she be able to take legal steps?” If the answer is ‘yes’, then you must not use it.
During the Refinement Phase, it is possible to make minor adjustments to your designs to ensure original work. However, the closer your design already is to being 100% original, the more chances that it gets picked for the Client Shortlist.
Please note that some very iconic sports and/or sports gear is copyrighted and cannot be used commercially. Especially do not use any sports BRANDS (i.e. Adidas, Nike, Real Madrid C.F., HC Davos) in your designs.
Please be aware that even logos of smaller sports clubs may be copyrighted even if they are not a trademark. Furthermore, please respect the personal rights of famous as well as local athletes and do not depict them in your designs. Be aware that even the brands of smaller sports clubs may be copyrighted even if they are not a trademark. Furthermore, please respect the personal rights of famous as well as local athletes and do not depict them in your designs.
Make your design ready for production
- You must show the front and back sides of your design idea.
- You only need to create a visual for the scales of the Classic 58mm pocket knife.
- Your design will be printed on the scales, which are non-transparent and come in the basic colors of red, white, black, blue, yellow, light pink and green (see Project Kit).
- It must be technically possible to produce your design suggestions. An expert team from Victorinox will test the feasibility and make adjustments if necessary.
- Use of the Victorinox logo: the position, size and shape of the Victorinox logo on the knife may not be changed.
What you should NOT submit
- In this project, we are NOT looking for alternative shapes, functions or materials for the cellidor scales.
- Please do not submit design series, but just ONE idea per submission.
- Designs that were already submitted in one of the previous Victorinox Limited Edition design challenges will NOT be taken into consideration for this project.
- Designs with any of the following elements will be removed from the project
- Skulls, crossbones and blood
- Sexist insinuations and any kind of nudity
- Anything that glorifies violence, hatred or racism
- Anything that disregards the dignity of animals or of humans
- Anything with a political or religious statement
Here is a brief overview of what is particularly important to be aware of:
1. When entering an idea for a project, jovoto as well as the client, may display, share and print it for evaluation or presentational purposes.
2. There is a six month exclusivity period:
- in which you may publish and share your idea on other websites or social media and ensure it is clearly labelled as a submission created on jovoto.
- in which you ensure that the client is able to exclusively license your design.
- after which you may offer your submission to others and publicly display it (without the client logo).
3. If your design gets selected for the Client’s Shortlist, please ensure to provide an original final design.
5. The project terms clarify rights for your upload as well as the details that go into effect if and when you are informed that the client wishes to license your design.
6. Please carefully check and review your submission before uploading it - it can only be deleted within 24 hours.
7. This is a project with further provisions. Please check out the project terms paragraph 6.